Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Homecoming

My mother accompanied me to the jeepney terminal. I am excited. Mixed emotions. I have butterflies in my stomach.

It’s been almost 10 years since I left Bilibiran. December 11 was my day to come back. I was not prepared for it. I was clueless of what to see. The decision to return was slapdash. And the feeling is nostalgic.

I traveled for almost two hours. While seated in front of the jeepney, I counted the times my seatmate fell off his hand on my lap and banged his head on my shoulder out of drowsiness. I picked out a human rights book from my bag and read about poverty in the Philippines. I returned the book inside my bag. The sight of squatters along Pasig River is enough to talk about poverty.

So much has changed in Binangonan. It became more urbanized. As the jeepney passes by my alma mater, I was amazed on how it has been transformed into a more beautiful structure. I’ve learned that there’s already a high school at the back side of BES (Bilibiran Elementary School) and that many of my former teachers were already retired. Others are now resting in peace.

As soon as I graduated in elementary our family moved to Manila due to matters of consequences. We left my uncle’s house in Montevilla Subdivision that served as our sanctuary for almost four years. We moved there after my father’s death.

That house is comparable to the garden of Eve. It is a bungalow with a plethora of trees – atis, guyabano, chico, star apple, santol, papaya, mango, macopa, chesa, rambutan, kamias, golden shower, bayabas, avocado, coconut, and would I ever forget the grapes that clings upward to the tall water tank. Whenever I am at the top of the water tank I can see the whole view of Rizal including Laguna de bay and Antipolo. I feel like I own the whole world. The water tank has been my favorite hang-out while eating grapes, watching the panoramic view and envisioning my dreams.

At the backyard we have a small hut where I used to sleep, eat, read and spend my leisure time. It was my refugee camp whenever I got scolded. I used to build a tree house out of wood strips at a small mango tree at the backyard. At the roof I used to fly kites and read novels. Sometimes I would climb the roof through the chico tree beside the house. Usually, I used the back side where I would climb our neighbor’s wall to get to our roof. The whole house and lot is enclosed by cacti and gumamela flowers serving as its fence. We have different flowering and non-flowering plants - name it, we have it. In front of the house is a vacant lot where I used to plant kamote. Another vacant lot at the left side of the house, facing the large mango tree, is where my grandfather used to plant corn, kamote, watermelon, squash and kamoteng kahoy.

I remember those days when my brother and I would roam the whole village looking for spiders; when I would climb each trees looking for fruits, swing at the macopa tree, entertain customers of my uncle’s pizza business, religiously water my vegetable garden and all the plants we have, feed and bath our dogs (cutray, petray, josapa, boom, others whom I no longer remember the names for there was a time that we have almost 20 dogs). There was a time I fell off from the avocado tree and got a broken foot. I used to collect stones and dig the soil for earthworms. At the age of 10 I’m already a trying hard geologist, biologist, gardener and ecologist. I would look for black widow spiders in every tree and do everything to kill them. Until now I am still haunted by spiders in my dreams.

I drop off my bag at Mai’s house and headed to the subdivision.

As I stood in front of the house and scrutinize its new look, so much has change. It has its new owner. Many of the trees and plants were no longer there and those that were left have been trimmed. The trees look malnourished. The house has been renovated and the backyard became a haven for roosters. The whole place became so constricted, so pale, so foreign. The front vacant lot is now a forest while a house already stood at the former left side vacant lot. Gone were the grapes and water tank. The plants that served as fence were replaced with cement. Gone was the garden of Eve. I was about to cry but I suppressed my melancholic feelings. I still have a reunion to attend later, I told myself.

On my way to Mai’s house, I passed by the house of the old lady whose dog bit me when I was in grade three. I saw the old lady cleaning her front yard. I didn’t see the dog.

While facing my former elementary classmates during the reunion that night at Pat’s house (same village where I formerly reside), I was a bit silent and awkward. I have an overflowing reservoir of things to say about my life, my experiences and my achievements, since I left the place almost ten years ago. But I am at lost with words. I do not know when and where to start. My almost ten years of absence is a tough enemy. I felt I am a stranger. They even call me Manila boy.

While observing my BESprens, I have noticed that they may have undergone physical metamorphosis but their mannerisms are still very much the same. Though a lot of them have now promising careers and have settled for good, still their youthfulness is intact. Just like the old days, they’re still good-natured and lighthearted. Loads of personal stories were told and bountiful memories were reminisced that night. And I am glad that despite the long years I was gone, I’ve been warmly welcomed by the people whom I spent four young years of wonderful experiences and memories.

All throughout the night, I was smiling. In my 21 years of existence it was my first time to throw up just because of ethanol. I felt very dizzy but at the same time fulfilled. And as we slept at 4:0Oam in cold cement at Ajong’s terrace, I felt relieved. We struggled for a piece of blanket in a very cold dawn. I snuggled at Pat’s side. I sought comfort from his warmth. I just missed everyone.

As we exchanged goodbyes in front of my alma mater, I touched the fence of the school while viewing the interior. My spirit bid farewell. As I sat at the front seat of the jeepney, I took my last glimpse of them, expressed my gratitude, and I smile. I am very happy and contented.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I used to live there too. Then, we left this place coz my family decided to sell our home. We lived there for three years. One of most my memorable three years of my life.

    I share your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete