Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Lip Gloss

The first time I saw her was during a simple recognition day for those who were qualified and chosen to be correspondents of Ang Pamantasan, the official student publication of our University. She was a freshy that time while I was a sophomore.

When we were asked to introduce ourselves and why we applied for the post it was then that I noticed her presence. The big-eyed, pale skinned girl in braces with a short black curly hair. She spoke good English and exuded an aura of a very serious person (there is something in her face that made her look nerd or maybe I am just being overly imaginative and too judgmental). She must be really good, I thought. After the event I’ve discovered that her sister also works for the publication. Maybe journalistic skills really run in their blood.

After that activity I no longer saw her for I quit from continuing when my doctor misdiagnosed me of having PTB and advised me to rest and have medications. Poor doctor from PGH, I believe she should go back to med school and review her lessons for she just deposited toxins on my body with all those unnecessary medicines. Had I known earlier about that wrong diagnosis I shouldn’t have quit being a correspondent. I was then really excited after being assigned to gather news at the office of the university president and Manila City Hall. I really hate that doctor.

Life went on and after a year or so, I had known that the former GenEd girl (freshmen during those days don’t have courses yet) and I belong to the same college and share the same course (maybe she is also fond of dissecting frogs and cats). What a coincidence.

Since our college is one of the smallest in terms of population, seeing that girl in the corridor, laboratories, college activities, catwalks, rooms, CS office and anywhere I go, became an ordinary scene. I just wondered if she continued working for AP. Guess what? She didn’t (Again, what a coincidence).

When my term as the president of the student council was about to end (thank you Lord), it was time for me to look for people who would dedicate part of their lives (and part of their money) in serving the student body. Surprisingly, Jorrel, my personal choice to be the next prexy is always with that girl with a backpack.

The election season was the time when I was formally introduced to that big-eyed, pale skinned girl in braces with a short black curly hair who spoke good English and exuded an aura of a very serious person. Amazingly I was wrong with my first impression on her, she wasn’t really that serious and aside from being smart, she is (just like any other girl) cool, cheerful, open-minded and easy to bond and deal with.

When I was able to get to know her better, I saw in her the eagerness to be part of the student council and I admire her for that. I have a high regard for female leaders. I believe that in politics women have much balls than men. The girl has the skills and leadership potentials, no doubt on that. As a matter of fact, she is an excellent writer, a good public speaker and a musically and artistically inclined person. She can really relate to people and can influence them to believe and follow in what she wants to instill in them. Later, she became the public relations officer of the College of Science Student Council.

But beyond those superficial characters, I saw in her a good person.
She is devoid of pretensions, especially on how she looks (I’m a bit confused, is she really a punky dresser or what?) and the way she talks (bubbly, naughty, good conversationalist, her eyes would always enlarge when surprised). Indeed she is very outspoken yet sincere, sensible, honest, caring and responsible.

And for me, after all those moments we’ve been together, she really has a dignified soul who is not afraid to fight for what she believes is good and true. She has the so called “girl power” - a strong woman who is determined to reach her goals no matter how many obstacles may block her way. Despite her background, she’s still down to earth.

Most admiringly, she has a golden heart. And during my visits to their house, I can say that she really loves her family and vice-versa, especially her sister and pamangkins. A very sweet lola’s girl. Undeniably she was brought up with a good foundation on Christian and family-oriented values.

I know that the time we had spent together was not enough for me to fully know her and dig the details of her life but it was more than enough for me to acknowledge her importance in my life. And I am grateful for having her as one of my friends.

I will miss everything about her. . .

To Rox: Wherever you are right now I want to thank for being such a nice person to me. I know that the friendship we have, even though we already separated ways, was built to last. I may not be the person who cried a river during your interment, but my mind and heart that day suffered a lot from the reality that I can no longer be with you. How I wished I am with you that time so that I could have protected you or at least I could have altered the events.

I will miss you so much. . .

I will long for the days when you would visit me at the shed or SSC office and you would hug me tightly and kissed me with your lips overfilled with lip gloss (honestly Rox, the moment your lips touches my face the feeling is so slimy, when you kiss it’s as if there’s no more tomorrow - peace!). I will yearn for the times when we would talk about your boy-toys, your crushes, and your ex-boyfriends. I missed those overnights (during LTS, at Alvin’s house, or in Zeta’s Brgy. Hall where we answered the cases filed against us by moronic frogs).

I can still remember those times when you would confess to me personal things. I really appreciate it for you’re one of those girls who trusted me and felt comfortable in disclosing things that are supposed to be for female only. I am sure many people would also miss you.

As of now, even though it’s been almost five months since you left us, it is still hard for me to accept such a great loss. There were moments when I would ask myself why life is so unfair and I can’t help but question God why He let that happened to a good person, to you. There are millions of bad and useless people in this world, but why you?

Death is really painful, not just for the person who died, but for those who were left behind. And it is really more painful if your loved one died not due to sickness but because of some cold-blooded criminals. I know the same feelings Rox’ family felt, I have experienced that before, for my father and Rox shared the same fate.

How I wish all criminals in the world would die the same way their victims suffered. I hope that these people would experience losing a loved one so that they would know how does it feels to have such great loss and that they would carry the pain all throughout their lives.

I don’t know how to end this piece, maybe because there is so much to say about you Rox, but I am at lost with words. Maybe there there are no really perfect words, only sincere thoughts. But one thing is for sure, you will forever stay in my heart. And I know time will come that we would meet again, perhaps on another point in time, in another place, and as different persons. But surely, when that time comes, we would still be friends just like the old days.

Thank you Rox for touching my life and adding color to it. May you rest in eternal peace. I love you more than life itself. And, see you somewhere. . .

____________________________________________________________________________
“In memory of the big-eyed, pale skinned girl in braces with a short black curly hair, with lips overfilled with lip gloss, my friend Mary Roxanne Musngi.”

No comments:

Post a Comment