Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Shed

It’s been quite a while since the last time I sat on that shed. And as I look back on the old days when I was still one of its regular residents, I badly long for the feelings that sitting there gives me. A different kind of sentiment that no amount of words can fully describe.

Every time I sat there my mind and heart feel the soul of the memories I have made with different people, mostly and oftentimes my org-mates. Those embedded memories emanate in the five corners of the structure that had serve as our tambayan and even of our alumni.

And now, I just missed everything about that little place – the fresh and drowsy ambiance, the annoying sounds of insects on hot afternoons, the Adelfa tree whose poisonous flowers are always cut by ignorant students to place into their ears, the ever present mosquitoes that join us during our meetings at night, the bees that at the smell of sweets would bother us, the rumbling gymnasium whenever there is a basketball game, the freedom wall with no more space to write on, the cats that would always beg for mercy and if not given attention they would jump over our food, the flying balls from students having their soccer games at the field, the bothersome stench of the warm cement after being wet by rain and would I ever forget the inviting smell of pancit canton on the nearby store (whose seller put so much make up on her face).

And of course, the more worthy of remembering are the sharing of food by my penniless org-mates, the laughter every time a corny punch lines airs, the tears of those who received 5.0 during giving of class cards, the irksome shouting when there is debate on different issues, the walk outs of angry and short tempered people who would always comeback the next day, the “making parinig” to our frog rivals on the other shed, the endless and countless meetings whose attendees are always late which at times would be canceled since quorum wasn’t met, the sermon most of which I always render whenever there are unsolved issues and irreconcilable differences and most of all - our “chismisan” about peoples’ lives, boasting of courses, showbiz news, hidden sexualities, break ups, lover’s quarrels, abnormal professors, irritating subjects, family sentiments, and anything that is appealing to the hearts of young people like us.

For other students, just like any other shed in the University, it is just an ordinary area for those who are waiting for their next classes, for those who are seeking momentary shelter from heavy rain, for those who are reviewing for the exams and cramming for home works and reports, for baggage area of those having P.E. subjects at the field, for those having their meal because the canteen cannot accommodate them, for meetings of organizations who don’t have offices and oftentimes, a tambayan for those who have no place to stay.

But for me the shed is more than that. It is more than a waiting area. It is more than a cement, wood, bricks and metal joined together. It has a life. It has a spirit. It is home, our home.

It has stood there and roofed us while we are trained to be good leaders, while we passed what we learned to our protégés, while we discuss the issues of the University affecting the students, while we plan our projects and programs for the welfare of the student body, while we talk about social and political issues affecting our lives, while we reconcile and reunite slowly failing relationships, while we plan for the student election, and while we educate and convince our co-students to share the same mission and vision with us in making a difference.

It has stood there while we struggle to achieve our dreams and while we enjoy and make the most of our youth. It has witness our defeats, victories, cries, struggles, hunger, relationships, anger, failures, misunderstandings, happiness and everything about our metamorphosis from careless and indifferent grade conscious students into pro-active, service-oriented and transformational campus leaders who are not afraid to rally or become labeled as anti-admin just to champion the cause of the student body.

Way back, when I was still a freshman in the University, I do not give so much attention to that shed. When I entered my sociopolitical org in February of 2008, I detest going there because I avoid being seen and ambushed by our alumni. It is just that I am not comfortable talking with them because their presence alone is quite scary for a new member like me. For me there is so much to accomplish at the 6th floor of Gusaling Lacson than staying in that area with unfamiliar and intimidating faces.

But when I started getting more attached with my mother organization, I no longer feel uneasy going there. From time to time I would drop by to have some short chit-chats with my org-mates and even alumni. And when I was elected to head the organization in 2009, that place and I had made some sort of connection. It became part of my system.

Maybe it is true that you will only appreciate the importance of a thing when it is no longer yours or when it is no longer part of your life. How I wish I am still a student or perhaps a student again of that University so that I could regularly visit the shed and I could again eat siomai and pancit canton there and have a short nap whenever I feel sleepy.

But things have changed. I can still go there. I can still have the opportunity to study again. But the people I am with during those old days can no longer be with me in that shed. Gone are the people, only the memories are left there waiting to be reminisced.

I will no longer see Nat crying after being slapped and scolded by Hyra. No more Doms singing, bullying and planning the LTS. No more Nat (maliit, negro at walang pera) dancing his nakakaumay moves and always asking for food and drinks. No more tactless and giggling Mariazeta and her Michael Jackson nursing outfit. No more Alvin asking the timid freshmen to orient him. No more George answering election petitions and making fun of Jj’s built. No more Ren and his “R and L” syndrome. No more cuty cute cute Maan and bubbly Cham who would always drop by there.

Despite the longing I feel, I am still hopeful that when the time comes when I would visit the shed, there would still be Hubert who would massage my back, Emae who would buy me 3-in-1 coffee and would always flaunt her hair showing her continental-sized forehead, Tin shouting from afar and chuckling while tightly hugging me, Khimmy and her broad smile (and hips) while saying “Kuya Noliiii …I missss youuu.”, the forever lutang Padgi and his annoying nguso (in English – new so) , Jeng’s huge eyes and unsophisticated laughter while running after Tin (they’re always like that), Joel’s deadly silence who would just observe what is happening around him, Loe’s earsplitting noise and vice ganda punchlines, the protozoan Fermin and his hairy body and wide chest that readily hugs me, Macky’s unbeatable appetite (I think Nat can beat it), Kam who is always complaining about her subjects, the ever emo Vhic (are you still confused?) and always bullied Kennedy, the good looking Wilhelm (I hope you’re not one of them), Peter (when are you going to stop hoping for her love?) and Berto (the truth will set you free), and other residents who drop by from time to time.

I miss them so much. I hope that they missed me too.

And now, I cannot help but be grateful to that place for it became the venue for many friendships that continuously flower and prosper, for the people who became more than friends, for the ordinary students who became extraordinary leaders and professionals and for the lessons that were never learned inside the classroom but were taught there - the real lessons of life.

The occupants of that place now have parted ways, others no longer visit the spot due to busy schedules, most have surely grew older and hopefully matured, some already have families and promising careers, but the shed will just stand there and will wait for new occupants that would share their emotions, experiences, dreams, and lives.

It will just stand there waiting to be occupied, to shelter, and to witness new families, new stories and new memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment